Carlos Loayza has over 20 years of experience in the design and construction of civil and mechanical projects, and on project advisory. His expertise includes advising clients on projects that have failed to meet time expectations. Carlos has been appointed as an expert witness in relation to delay and disruption aspects of project disputes in adjudication, international arbitration (ICC, LMAA, Ad Hoc, and CAM), and litigation and has given written and oral testimony (in person and virtually) multiple times before the High Court of England and Wales (TCC), and in international arbitration (both in English and in Spanish).
Carlos has worked on projects and disputes located in the UK, Europe, Middle East, Africa, Asia, and South America. He has experience across a broad range of project sectors including real estate, oil and gas, power generation, transport infrastructure projects, offshore construction, shipping, government, and public sector projects.
- Participated in High Court proceedings (TCC). Delay expert in connection with delays and termination of an EPC contract for a £150 million 28 MW energy-from-waste power plant in northern England. Cross examination took place in London in July 2021.
- Participated in High Court proceedings (TCC). Delay expert regarding delays and termination of £60 million biomass power plant in in Wales. Cross examination took place in London in July 2019.
- Delay expert on behalf of multinational power EPC contractor in international arbitration under the Madrid Chamber of Arbitration. Dispute in connection with delays to the fabrication of heat recovery steam generators for two combined cycle power plants (850 and 857 MW) built in northern Mexico. Virtual cross examination in Spanish in November 2020.
- Delay expert on behalf of European shipyard. International arbitration under Norwegian Ad Hoc rules. Delays to the completion of the fabrication and sail away of a €150 million PC3 Icebreaker class vessel. Cross-examined and gave presentation to a three men tribunal during a week-long hearing in Oslo in 2019.
- Delay expert on behalf of Singaporean investor. LMAA international arbitration regarding fabrication of a self-elevating vessel in Chinese shipyard. Cross examination in London before a three men tribunal in 2018.
- Delay expert in an ICC international arbitration in relation to the construction of a luxury resort and shopping mall in the middle east. The case was adjourned before the oral hearing.
- Large oil processing plant in the Middle East. ICC arbitration, on behalf of the main contractor, Carlos assessed in detail and provided advice in connection with delays and disruption to the construction of the plant over a period of 18 months.
- Large oil refinery International Arbitration in Saudi Arabia. Disruption and delay analysis in connection with the construction of the civil works of large oil refinery. Arbitration proceedings under ICC rules.
- Delay expert on behalf of a North American fabricator and contractor to provide written and oral testimony in international ICC arbitration in connection with the construction of three sport arenas in the Caucasus.