Rachel Weinthal has twenty years of experience providing assurance, litigation, and forensic accounting services with a focus on accounting-related and fraud investigations. She has extensive experience in preparing expert reports and assisting in the preparation of expert witnesses for trial.
Rachel has worked on various matters including SEC and DOJ investigations of fraud and whistleblower allegations, marital and business divorce disputes, construction disputes, employee embezzlement schemes, security valuations, shadow investigations, monitorships, and insurance claim preparation. She has managed numerous engagements involving damages calculations in the support of expert reports, including the preparation of related analyses and exhibits.
Rachel currently serves on the board as the Secretary of the Atlanta Chapter of the Women’s White-Collar Defense Association (“WWCDA”).
- Prepared a rebuttal expert report in response to an overbilling claim relating to the construction of a residential property in Northern California. Analysis included determining appropriate payroll burden rates as well as reimbursable costs.
- Built a damages claim involving the power failures and construction delays of two industrial plants located in Eastern Europe.
- Selected as the testifying expert on behalf of shareholders in a medical practice in a case against the majority shareholder who fraudulently sold shares in the practice to an external party.
- Provided forensic accounting services to a company in an effort to uncover and quantify an occurrence of employee theft at one of the company’s subsidiary locations. Drafted a report of findings to be submitted as a fidelity insurance claim in addition to being provided to the federal authorities, and a report of internal control recommendations to prevent fraud at the company going forward.
- Performed a shadow investigation of another forensic accounting firm relating to a whistleblower’s allegations relating to the accounting practices of a publicly-traded business management services firm.
- Assisted with a shadow investigation to provide oversight to an external consulting firm engaged to assist with the Company’s Audit Committee and Board of Directors’ investigation involving certain expense reimbursement practices related to the Bank’s executive officers.
- Prepared an expert report on the business interruption and property damage loss and was selected as the accounting expert to testify on behalf of a costume retailer in litigation against their insurance underwriter as a result of unpaid claims for damages sustained during Superstorm Sandy.
- Served as project lead for an engagement team of seven professionals providing consulting and expert witness services to client, defendant, and sponsor of several residential mortgage-backed security trusts. The client allegedly breached mortgage representations and warranties pursuant to a mortgage loan purchase agreement. Responsible for drafting eight expert reports and supervising the data analyses in support of company’s opinion of the mortgage servicer’s role in the realized losses sustained by the trust.