Duan van der Merwe has an extensive background in civil engineering and experience providing consulting on various projects. He has developed a broad skillset in planning and project controls, on project advisory and delay/forensic assignments.
Duan has extensive experience in heavy engineering, oil and gas (both upstream and downstream), infrastructure, building, and rail projects. He is experienced in providing project advisory services for various major infrastructure and transit projects. He has experience working with general contractors, sub-contractors, design consultants and owner organisations within complex consortium partnerships on P3 and integrated project delivery models. His roles included management of programmes, project controls, delay analyst and project advisory in different international regions.
The portfolio of projects he has worked on include both live projects at all phases from cradle to grave and legal disputes that arose following the completion of the work.
- Lead and aspects of scheduling, delay analysis and project management disciplines within the Commercial Services team for Canada’s largest real estate and cost consulting firm. Managed the scheduling, project controls and delay analysis on various engagements both in expert and project advisory roles.
- Provided claims, preparation, delay analysis, evaluation of claims and rebuttals, preparation of expert reports, and project advisory service on projects ranging from $50 million – $5 billion CAD or including major infrastructure, transit projects, commercial buildings, residential highrise and mixed-use development.
- Provided technical advisory for project scheduling and delay on the Stampede Station Revitalisation project for Calgary Municipal Lands Corporation and integration to the Calgary Transit network.
- Provided scheduling and delay analysis support on the Eglinton Maintenance and Storage Facility for delays encountered on the track and signals activities to facilitate a successful settlement ahead of a legal dispute.
- Developed standard progress measurement systems and project planning standards for major transit projects including union station railway corridor resignalling project. Established planning norms/metrics enabling Canada’s largest railway general contractor to monitor, evaluate trends and forecast estimated time and cost to complete.
- Managed a team of schedulers for the electrical and mechanical sub-contractors on the elevated portion of Red Line South for Doha Metro in Qatar to integrate a resource loaded schedule for the track electrical infrastructure and station electrical and mechanical scopes to the master programme in accordance with the consortium planning and project controls standards and specifications.
- Provided delay and disruption analysis and preparation of several expert reports for various residential high rise and public infrastructure projects (scheduled to testify Quebec in 2024).
- Provided project advisory services for public agencies such as Alberta Infrastructure, Calgary Municipal Lands Corporation and Vancouver Coastal Health in relation to project planning, project controls and dispute resolution.
- Supported and participated in the preparation of expert reports on construction delays for various public and private sector projects.
- Provided scheduling and forensic planning expertise for determining and supporting lost time in construction projects.
- Performed schedule risk analysis; presented potential risk and mitigation measures to management on various transit projects in Qatar and Canada.