Mark Vandertoorn has over 20 years of experience assisting clients with forensic accounting, economic damages issues, business valuations, and financial due diligence. He is an expert in the quantification of loss, forensic accounting, business valuations, and evaluating financial disclosures of investment funds and companies. His experience includes quantifying losses and business valuation in commercial disputes, contract breaches, family law, and purchase and sale agreement disputes.
Mark previously worked for 12 years in the hedge fund and private equity sector as an investment manager and accountant in the Netherlands and Netherlands Antilles. While living in the Netherlands, he gained an in-depth knowledge of the regulatory environment of hedge funds and similar private placement funds.
- Testified in an arbitration proceeding to losses due to alleged overbilling by a vendor to an oil & gas exploration company.
- Testified in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice to losses associated with an insurance broker frustrated by his former employer, an insurance brokerage, from buying his book of business.
- Testified in the Alberta Court of King’s Bench to income for support purposes in accordance with Federal Child Support Guidelines for a commercial real estate broker working from Canada and the United States.
- Testified in an arbitration proceeding to business losses suffered by a wholesale grocery store resulting from the breakdown of machinery.
- Prepared an expert rebuttal report on over $100 million of damages resulting from the termination of an agreement to build a new power plant for a gas plant in Alberta, Canada.
- Prepared an expert report quantifying over $80 million of lumber inventory pursuant to an asset purchase agreement dispute in the lumber and newsprint industry.
- Quantified damages relating to constructive termination of a 20-year contract between a business and a provincial government-owned entity and operation of a special events venue.
- Assisted counsel in the review of auditor working papers and financial statements and disclosures in relation to mutual funds and private placement funds.
- Quantified losses experienced by a Canada national union, over more than 10 years due to the alleged negligence of an outsourced drug benefit plan administrator.
- Prepared expert valuation reports related to shareholder disputes, including valuations of a commercial landscaping company and a chemical cleaning solution manufacturer.