Don Perron has extensive investigative experience spanning more than three decades. Throughout his career, he has been involved in criminal and corporate investigations, risk management, regulatory compliance, and corporate governance. Specifically, his expertise lies in addressing financial crimes, money laundering, asset tracing and recovery, corporate intelligence, and conducting due diligence focused on governance, risk management, and regulatory compliance. Don also has experience in developing and implementing corporate policies and procedures, establishing performance metrics and statistical reporting mechanisms, and implementing strategies to prevent losses.
While working for the Ontario Provincial Police, Don focused on investigating organized crime, proceeds of crime, asset forfeiture, identity crimes, and healthcare fraud. Additionally, he played a crucial role in overseeing the regulation of the gaming and liquor industries on Ontario.
- Played a pivotal role in the development and establishment of the provincial asset-forfeiture strategy for Ontario.
- Provided technical and strategic leadership, advice, and expertise to the OPP and the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services (MCSCS) on matters relating to asset forfeiture and identify crimes, including multi-jurisdictional enforcement initiatives for the OPP, other municipal police services and law enforcement agencies provincially, nationally, and internationally.
- Served as the on-site executive representative for the Executive Offices at the MCSCS, where he managed the relationship between the Ministry and the OPP in areas such as operations, policies, and planning.
- Performed a significant role in regulating the gaming and liquor industries and contributed to the modernization of the liquor enforcement strategy.
- Managed and coordinated the implementation of a significant restructuring of the OPP’s Investigations/Organized Crime Command into an Intelligence-led policing model.
- Collected evidence that led to the seizure and forfeiture of $1.02 million USD from an individual responsible for smuggling large amounts of marijuana into the US.
- Provided direction and guidance to the Liquor Enforcement Branch operation. Spearheaded investigations into criminal allegations associated with charitable gaming and played a vital role in modernizing the liquor enforcement strategy.
- Led, directed, and guided the Gaming Enforcement Branch operation (casinos and racetracks/slots), investigating criminal allegations related to gaming, conducting due diligence investigations of corporations and gaming employees, and providing specialized training related to gaming.
- In private industry:
- Assisted the Alcohol Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) in designing an eligibility assessment framework for Cannabis operator applicants;
- Performed numerous eligibility assessments for the AGCO of gaming operator applicants.