Stephen Elms is a Chartered Surveyor with over 35 years’ experience as a quantity surveyor in the UK construction industry working in both private practice and contracting organisations. He provides a wide range of services including all quantity surveying and commercial management functions, expert analysis, commercial advice, dispute avoidance and resolution, preparation and analysis of variation accounts and contractual claims and vetting contract documentation.
Direct experience has been gained in many industry sectors including commercial, retail, leisure, residential, education, technology, transport, healthcare, power, nuclear, rail and aviation. As Commercial Director for a specialist building envelope contractor, he was responsible for all commercial activities in a business unit delivering up to £40M of complex roofing, cladding and glazed façade work per annum.
His experience of large, complicated construction contracts brings a practical knowledge and positive approach to working with clients to manage risk, significant delays, and change. He has detailed knowledge of NEC and JCT forms of contract and first-hand experience of adjudication and complex legal disputes.
He is skilled at preparing management accounts for statutory audit and has experience of both business acquisition and contract novation.
- Completed quantum analysis and prepared expert reports on increased labour costs in support of an ICC arbitration case.
- Prepared analysis and expert reports in support of a US state court case involving claims for delay and alleged wrongful termination of a subcontractor.
- Provided expert analysis of a claim for the additional cost of tapered insulation relating to the construction of a US Naval facility in South Carolina.
- Acting for a specialist sub-contractor carrying out the mechanical services package on a hotel renovation project, prepared requests for a 103-week extension of time and calculations for loss and expense exceeding £900,000.
- Provided expert analysis of the extent and causes of delay to the groundworks package on a contract for the construction of a new data centre in The Netherlands.
- Acted as surveyor advocate for a specialist sub-contractor in a successful adjudication in relation to the value of completed cladding works.
- Commercial director for £70 million of specialist roofing, cladding and façade works on five Crossrail stations. Responsible for contract negotiation, set up and interim management of on-site teams carrying out all commercial functions.
- Acting for a specialist contractor carrying out two security installation contracts with a combined value £35 million, provided pre-contract advice and post contract commercial administration. Managed the preparation of programmes for acceptance and all commercial aspects of substantial change and delay.
- Provided initial commercial advice to a main contractor undertaking a £20 million airport runway resurfacing project to be carried out under an NEC3 Option E cost reimbursable contract.
- Overall commercial responsibility for nuclear decommissioning encapsulation projects with a combined value of £10 million.