Stephen Elms has over 30 years’ experience as a quantity surveyor in the UK construction industry working in both private practice and contracting organisations. Steve provides a wide range of services including all quantity surveying and commercial management functions, commercial advice, dispute avoidance and resolution, preparation and analysis of variation accounts and contractual claims and vetting contract documentation.
Direct experience has been gained in many industry sectors including commercial, retail, leisure, residential, education, technology, transport, healthcare, power, nuclear, rail and aviation. As Commercial Director for a specialist building envelope contractor, Steve was responsible for all commercial activities in a business unit delivering up to £40M of complex roofing, cladding and glazed façade work per annum.
Steve’s experience of large, complicated construction contracts brings a practical knowledge and positive approach to working with clients to manage risk, significant delays and change. He has detailed knowledge of NEC and JCT forms of contract and first-hand experience of adjudication and complex legal disputes.
He is skilled at preparing management accounts for statutory audit and has experience of both business acquisition and contract novation.
- Commercial director for £70M of specialist roofing, cladding and façade works on five Crossrail stations. Responsible for contract negotiation, set up and interim management of on-site teams carrying out all commercial functions.
- Provided commercial advice for the purchase of £30M of specialist sub-contracts from an administrator and then novation to a newly formed business.
- Project commercial director under a £35M roofing and glazing contract on a new airport terminal building. Successfully managed all commercial aspects of extensive scope and programme change.
- Commercial director for £33M of specialist roofing, cladding and glazed façade contracts on London 2012 Olympic and legacy projects such as the iconic Aquatics Centre, Main Press Centre, Main Stadium, Energy Centres and Multi Storey Car Park.
- Overall commercial responsibility for nuclear decommissioning encapsulation projects with a combined value of £10M carried out under NEC3 Option E.
- Commercial lead on a £20M joint venture new build hospital. Assisted in setting up the JV agreement and responsible for administering all JV procedures and managing multi-disciplined commercial teams.