Jack Irwin has over 40 years of experience in engineering, design, construction, construction management, property inspection/assessment and claims/disputes. His expertise is in the analysis and resolution of construction claims and disputes involving real estate, buildings and construction projects, with special expertise in Mechanical Engineering, including HVAC and plumbing systems. He has served as an arbitrator and has testified as an expert witness. He has served attorneys (public and private), insurance companies, owners, public agencies (local, state and federal), developers, real estate professionals, contractors, designers and property managers.
Jack has consulted on projects in the Western States: California, Nevada, Utah, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii and Alaska, and also in Virginia, Louisiana, Missouri, Connecticut, Maryland, Guam and The Bahamas.
- Construction Claims Expertise: evaluation of changes, change orders, extra work, incomplete work; evaluation of and preparation of claims; scheduling, delay, and acceleration analysis; cost overrun/ disruption analysis; evaluation of entitlement and damages, including extended overhead.
- Forensic/Defect Expertise: HVAC and plumbing systems; codes and standards; design errors and omissions; construction defects and failures; repairs and cost estimating.
- Property Inspection and Assessment Expertise: due diligence inspections; review and inspection of contractor work; punch list and completion disputes; failure analysis; operability and maintenance; disaster assessments – earthquake, hurricane, fire, FEMA; insurance claims for property damage.
- Dispute Expertise: expert witness in arbitration and court (state and federal); assistance and presentations in ADR forums – settlement and mediation; discovery assistance; review of document productions; contract review.
- Forensic Project Experience:
- Government/Public Buildings: civic center, libraries, police headquarters, recreation, military, maintenance facility, criminal justice, postal stations, and fire stations
- Educational: K-12 schools, college and university
- Commercial: retail, malls, office, entertainment, hospitality (resorts, motels, hotels and restaurants), film sets
- Healthcare: hospital, medical laboratory, medical office
- Industrial/Infrastructure: water and waste water, power, laboratory, telecommunication, road and highway, industrial
- Housing: residential, including mixed use, multi-family (apartment and condominium), single-family, and "high-end" residences, including high-rise
- Aviation: international airport terminals