John Blade has been involved in the construction industry for over 10 years, with an emphasis on managing the commercial elements of complex building and engineering projects in diverse areas of the construction industry. He has a proven track record of minimizing the costs of a project and enhancing value for money, while maintaining the required standards of quality. This experience has strengthened his contractual knowledge and a willingness to further develop existing competencies in the area of contract management and dispute resolution.
John’s executive skills include leadership and initiative; experience in JCT and NEC forms of contract; negotiation toward dispute resolution; cost management and quantity surveying; awareness of complexities from different perspectives of the team; and communications and presentation skills.
- As commercial director for a specialist “cut and carve” subcontractor, was responsible for review of all contractual matters for the company and served as primary point of contact for dispute resolution on projects where site level disputes could not be resolved.
- Modified the commercial procedures and created an integrated document suite for the entire business, including monthly valuations, cost value reconciliation reports, cashflow management sheets and standard form of subcontract.
- Brought in as commercial manager at the halfway point of a complex demolition and structural alterations project in South West London that was a reporting a substantial commercial loss. Through competent commercial management over the remaining duration, including dispute resolution, negotiation of a considerable variation account, restructure of resources and an intensive programme adjustment, the project reported a positive profit margin at final account.
- Worked as commercial manager for a construction management consultant with a primary focus on high end luxury building projects. Successfully procured two unique detached private residences, delivered in one of North London’s most exclusive areas, and assisted in the delivery of nine super prime apartments and retail units in Central London. The latter achieved the accolade of Grand Prix winner for the London Evening Standard New Homes Awards 2016.
- Worked as quantity surveyor for a top tier RC Frames and Groundworks Contractor, commercially responsible for numerous projects of ranging complexity. Notable projects include a harbor development at Brighton Marina, consisting of installation of marine sheet piled wall cofferdam for land reclamation, 3 storey RC basement 7 meters below sea level, excavation of post works to existing sea bed within the new said cofferdam and design & build of post tensioned 12 storey concrete frame using precast columns and slip formed RC cores.