Dakus Gunn has served as a consultant and testifying expert in dispute resolution for the last 20 years. He provides expert analysis and testimony on delay, quantum and productivity issues with a focus on the construction industry.
Throughout his career he has been involved with a wide variety of projects including roads and bridges, airports, power plants (coal, nuclear, wind and hydroelectric), commercial and residential high-rises, large-scale land development, hospitals, entertainment and sports arenas, and light rail projects. These projects have been located throughout the Continental United States, Africa, and Latin America. He has worked primarily on cases involving critical path analyses, contractor terminations, subcontractor disputes, loss of productivity, differing site conditions, change order disputes, and liquidated damages for owners, contractors, subcontractors, and suppliers.
- Delay and quantum analysis on a 750 MW solar facility and a 240 MW solar facility in Mexico.
- Delay and quantum analysis and testimony before an ICC DAB related to 4 Wind Farms totaling 550 MW in capacity in Mexico.
- Economic Damages analysis and testimony in an ICSID arbitration related to various disputes on a $400 million highway concession in Peru.
- Delay and quantum analysis and testimony on a $200 million, 250 MW Wind Farm under AAA/ICDR arbitration rules in Texas.
- Delay and quantum analysis and testimony on a $2 billion hydroelectric plant in South America.
- Delay, quantum and productivity analysis and testimony on a $300 million, 50 MW, hydroelectric project in Costa Rica in ICC Arbitration.
- Delay, quantum and productivity analysis and testimony on a $300 million, 150 MW Coal Fired Power Plant in Chile in ICC Arbitration.
- Productivity and quantum analysis and expert report on a $1 billion expansion of an international airport in the Middle East.
- Delay and quantum analysis and testimony for a $270 million, 114 MW hydroelectric plant in Guatemala under ICC Arbitration.
- Delay, quantum and productivity analysis and expert reports on two $5 billion, +4,750 MW Coal fire power plants in South Africa.
- Delay and quantum analysis and delay testimony on $20 million in claims on Anderson Air Force Base project in Guam before the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
- Delay analysis and testimony regarding a $30 million multi-purpose range complex in Hattiesburg, MS project involving +10 million CY’s of earthwork over 5 years before the 19th Judicial District Court.
- Quantum analysis and testimony on more than $25 million in claims on two supercritical boiler and steam generator units under AAA/ICDR Arbitration.
- Delay and quantum analysis and expert report for a $2 billion, 700 MW Coal Fire Power plant in West Virginia.
- Delay and quantum analysis and expert report on $20 million of contractor claims against owner of $60,000,000 Valley Metro Rail expansion in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Delay, quantum and productivity analysis and expert report for engineering firm regarding the delays and impacts of contractor productivity on the installation and peripheral work on 8 miles of highway construction in Baton Rouge, LA.
- Delay and quantum analysis and testimony regarding $30 million in disputes on a +$100 million mixed-use project involving Fairfax County, Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, Virginia Department of Transportation in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia. Retained as court-approved scheduling expert for continuing evaluation and presentation of project component schedules.
- Delay and quantum analysis and expert report on claims filed by contracting consortium for a $750 million construction, maintenance, and refurbishment of Water Injection Plants, platforms and injection in Lake Maracaibo, Venezuela.
- Delay and quantum analysis and expert report on $30 million in contractor/subcontractor liens and claims and $6,000,000 in owner counterclaims on a $50,000,000 wind farm located in West Virginia.
- Delay and quantum analysis and expert report for contractor’s claims on Interstate-65 and Interstate-40 expansion and bridge retrofit/construction in Nashville, TN and Knoxville, TN.
- Delay and quantum analysis and testimony on $28 million worth of cost of repair and completion resulting from termination for cause on behalf of the owner of a 700-acre land development project in Ocean City, MD in AAA/ICDR Arbitration.
- Preparation and maintenance of a cost and resource loaded Primavera schedule for a $36 million post-tension parking garage in Charlotte, NC for incorporation in the Charlotte Area Transit System Master Schedule for their South Corridor expansion project inclusive of delay impact evaluations resulting in over $2.5 million in differing site conditions claims.
- Preparation and submission of numerous engineers’ estimates along with expert review of contractors’ bid submissions and negotiations for national land development design firm over four years.
- Schedule preparation, delay analysis and claim preparation/submission on $220 million Civic & Convention Center in Raleigh, NC.
- Forensic assessment and quantum analysis and expert report on severe water infiltration leading to a $5,000,000 Level 5 remediation caused by defective workmanship on a hotel in TN.
- Delay, quantum and productivity analysis and expert report on more than 200 electricians pertaining to the long-term ripple impacts of trade stacking, overtime inefficiencies, shift work inefficiencies and disruptions due to delinquent concrete and steel installation for the electrical subcontractor on the San Diego Padres Ballpark in Downtown San Diego resulting in a $650,000 inefficiency claim.
- Delay, quantum and productivity analysis and testimony on the marine structural retrofit of the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge pertaining to Type I & Type II differing site conditions impact to drilling, casing, and reinforcement operations resulting in a $2 million claim in AAA/ICDR Arbitration.
- Delay, quantum and productivity analysis and testimony of the impact of Type II differing site conditions to the horizontal directional drilling operations along the 110 Freeway and Interstate 10 in Los Angeles, CA in AAA/ICDR Arbitration.
- Defective design review and delay analysis of more than $1 million in aggregate claims for defective workmanship on embed locations and column locations on the curtain wall installation for the LAC/USC Medical Center & the San Francisco Federal Building.
- Scheduling and delay expert for the $6 million accelerated Terminal 2 expansion of the San Diego International Airport with $50,000 per day liquidated damages. Resolved all project changes and impacts with no penalties to general contractor client.
THOUGHT LEADERS, GLOBAL ELITE, CONSTRUCTION EXPERTS
Dakus Gunn is “extremely knowledgeable about construction” with clients stating that his “insights into the management of large projects outside the US are invaluable”.
Thought Leaders, Economic Consulting, Quantum of Damages
Dakus Gunn is a highly regarded testifying expert with broad delay experience. Clients say “Dakus thinks laterally, has clarity in his vision for analysing complex issues and effectively executes to meet deadlines. He cuts through reams of data to produce a coherent and sensible analysis.”
Thought Leaders, Arbitration
Dakus Gunn at Delta Consulting Group is a “knowledgeable and easy-to-work-with” expert who earns acclaim for his “ability to see the grey in issues.” One client comments, “Dakus has become the person we call to know anything about the case.”
Construction, Expert Witness
The “very professional” Dakus Gunn is renowned for consistently doing an “outstanding job” in quantum and delay analysis.
Dakus Gunn is “a very strong expert on construction matters” according to respondents who note, “He is highly focused on the details of the case.”
Dakus Gunn is “diligent, hardworking and unquestionably professional,” according to sources, who also note that “he clearly knows what he’s talking about on construction issues.”
“Dakus is highly intelligent and extremely good at testifying” “Dakus can testify about both quantum and delay analysis which gives him a unique advantage” “He is very good, very thorough and very hands on”.
Dakus Gunn is a prominent specialist on delay, quantum and productivity matters, principally in construction, infrastructure and energy cases.
Dakus Gunn enjoys a phenomenal reputation in the market and is highly sought after by clients who note, He thinks strategically and is always willing to provide his thoughts and insights.
Construction, Quantum and Delay
Dakus Gunn has “an excellent ability to explain with clarity complex technical issues” and is held in high esteem for “his around-the-clock availability” and ability to “handle cross-examination extremely well”.
Dakus Gunn is commended for his “excellent poise during cross examination” and “ability to process a significant amount of data”.
Dakus Gunn is an “absolute pleasure to work” with according to sources who admire his “great knowledge and insightful advice.”
Dakus Gunn brings a wealth of experience in the development and construction industry and according to clients “knows his stuff inside-out.”
experts, financial advisory and valuation – Quantum of damages
Dakus Gunn is highlighted as “very good at testifying and being cross-examined” and possesses “excellent analytical skills”. Sources add, “Dakus is great at explaining complex issues in an easy to understand manner.”